All Things Kate - archived

7.30.2005

Communication

Kate is growing in leaps and bounds in communicating. She's picking up more signs and words every day. What's really fun for me is teaching her how to use the words she can say. Like, early this week I was reading a duck book and Kate started saying, "Quack! Quack!" so I taught her to answer "What does a duck say?" with "Quack!" There's a lot more important things I'd like Kate to say than animal sounds, but when she does say random things, it's fun to give them context for her. And non-verbal communication is a hoot. While I was typing this, Kate walked in and started whining. "What's the matter, Kate? What do you want to play now?" And she started dancing. "Do you want me to put on a fun CD for you to dance to?" and she smiled, grabbed my hand and led her into her room where she has a CD player. Then I put on They Might Be Giants and we danced to her delight.

2 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Devona said...

They Might Be Giants are a great band to listen to with kids.

I forgot about that, I'll have to get one of their albums on iTunes. Thanks for reminding me.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

I just found you through Devona and Parliament of Fools and wanted to drop by and say "Hi!" Plus, I thought it was funny that my thirteen-month-old daughter is obsessed with the word "quack," too. It's the chorus to her favorite song, but I'm trying to help her also associate it with ducks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home